Thursday, August 5, 2010

Obey my policy

I’m a pretty regimented person. I am a huge believer in Six Sigma and like rules, policies, and processes.

Recently, I was assigned the responsibility of managing our legal database. I immediately wrote a policy that details proper communication flow for customer contracts. Communication gaps and lost documents were frequent occurrences so my company was in dire need of this policy.

One time, for example, a sales rep received a partially executed customer contract and sent it to a Sales Manager for his review. Months later, the customer frantically called the sales rep looking for the fully executed contract. After talking with  more than 10 people and wasting two hours of valuable time, I gave up on hunting down this docutment and concluded that either the contract got sucked into the black hole or it was eaten by the contract monster.

Needless to say, I was delighted when my CEO approved my new Contract Policy. The policy instructs employees to forward their documents to me so that I can input them into our electronic approval system.  The process is efficient and prevents contracts from "falling throught the cracks."  For the most part, it has been highly effective since its implementation.

However, there are still a few deviants who like to make up their own rules. Just today, for instance, I was forwarded an email where a sales rep sent a message to his customer telling him, “Just send the contract to me. I will handle all internal communication.” I felt better after I took a deep breath, but for a moment I morphed into the Incredible Hulk and wanted to strangle this incompliant dolt with my mouse cord.

This guy knows what I’m talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment